Use the Text tab in the New Dimension Style dialog box to set text appearance, placement, and alignment.
You can assign text styles to dimension text (see “Working with Text Styles”). The Text Style list shows the text styles available in the drawing. To create or edit a text style, select the button next to the Text Style list to display the Text Style dialog box. See “Creating and Modifying Text Styles.”
You can also set text color and height and indicate whether you want a frame drawn around the text. If a fixed text height is set in the text style, that height overrides the text height set here in the New Dimension Style dialog box. Make sure the text height in the text style is set to 0 if you want to set it on the Text tab.
Text placement options govern the placement of text relative to dimension lines, extension lines, and dimensioned objects. When you select an option, the sample image displays the result.
The Vertical options set the position of the dimension text vertically.
- Centered: Places the text centered within the dimension line.
- Above: Places the dimension text above the dimension line when the text is parallel to the dimension line. Both settings are based on an X and Y orientation.
- Outside: Places the dimension text to the outside of the dimensioned object, regardless of its X and Y orientation.
- JIS: (Japanese Industrial Standards) Always positions text above the dimension line, even if the text is not parallel to the dimension line.
NOTE The vertical position descriptions are based on horizontal dimensions.
The Horizontal options set the position of the dimension text horizontally.
- Centered: Centers the dimension text between the extension lines.
- 1st Extension Line: Left-justifies the text at the first extension line along the dimension line.
- 2nd Extension Line: Right-justifies the text at the second extension line along the dimension line.
- Over 1st Extension Line: Positions the text over or along the first extension line.
- Over 2nd Extension Line: Positions the text over or along the second extension line.
Text alignment options adjust the rotation of the text relative to the dimension line.
- Horizontal: Keeps the text aligned with the X axis, regardless of the dimension line angle.
- Aligned with Dimension Line: Aligns the text with the dimension line.
- ISO Standard: Aligns dimension text with the dimension line when text is within the extension lines; positions text horizontally when the text is outside the extension lines.